Fly on the lighter side with these cauliflower “wings”!
I am a human being. One that used to go to bars and eat bar food and occasionally drink anything (beer, wine, Long Island Iced Teas, Vodka mixed drinks) that would either send me sleeping under the table or dancing on top. Ah, the good ole days!
Since becoming plant-based and giving up alcohol, I don’t really miss the alcohol. But I do miss some of the food.
Starting from the time I was in college I experimented with identifying with different food ideologies. I was everything on the spectrum from vegan to omnivore! And just like in yoga, you don’t want to stay stuck in cat or cow, you want to find that neutral table position. And so it is with me. I have recently found myself “experimenting” with “this” food or “that” food, still 99% of the time I eat a plant-based diet because that’s what I feel best eating. I find myself “experimenting” when I find myself with few options.
Ok, now that confession is over….
There are still foods I just can’t get myself to eat. Red meat is one of them, gluten-anything, and chicken wings. I can’t even stomach the idea, let alone the food.
In addition, I find it funny that the Super Bowl takes place just one month after we have all set New Year’s resolutions to eat better and get healthier. Like, THIS IS THE YEAR! And then we have or go to a party where we can’t eat anything or have to spend the next week in the gym 8 hours a day to work it off.
So what’s a girl to do if you want to be social and eat?
Make it yourself!
I made these “wings” for a news segment I did. These “wings” are cauliflower (plant-based) and just as tasty. NO joke. And, they’re baked, not fried so you don’t have to clog your arteries with all the rancid oil that’s been used and reused for a month in some places.
The key to great buffalo cauliflower “wings” is to get them evenly coated with batter. I did this by using a spoon to mix the batter and cauliflower. I just kept moving the florets around with the spoon until I thought they were all covered.
If you want the cauliflower spicier you may use more hot sauce or a spicier sauce. I believe you can always add more spice, but you can’t take it away once it’s there.
Finally, I serve this deliciousness with Vegan Ranch dressing (I used this one) and more hot sauce!
Ok, here’s the recipe…..
Buffalo Cauliflower “Wings”
1 head of cauliflower
¾ cup gluten-free all purpose flour
⅛ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
1 tsp paprika (optional)
1 tsp turmeric (optional)
1 cup almond milk
¼ cup water
1 cup Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo sauce
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.And line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Wash and separate the cauliflower into individual florets. Leave in colander to dry a bit while you make the batter.
3. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
4. Whisk in the almond milk and water (you may not need an entire ¼ cup). You want the consistency of the mixture to be like a batter, fluid, but not too watery.
5. Place cauliflower florets into the bowl and coat all the pieces with batter.
6. Arrange florets on prepared baking sheet, and bake for 20 minutes.
7. Remove cauliflower from oven and place in a bowl. Pour buffalo sauce over the florets and coat well.
8. Place back in the oven for another 10-15 minutes.
9. Serve with Vegan Ranch dressing and more hot sauce.