Very often cancer patients are concerned with two things – what goes in their body and what goes on their body.Leah Robert, Oncology Nurse and Co-Founder of Salty Girl Beauty
I certainly know this to be true for me.
After I was diagnosed with cancer, I searched for answers as to why this horrible thing could have happened to me. I didn’t find a single answer… I found many.
One of the answers I stumbled upon was that women (and men) are exposed to so many chemicals through our food, water, air, and personal care products.
My guests on the podcast found the same when Sarah Kelly was diagnosed with cancer, while pregnant!
Our philosophy is about taking care of yourself and being well, and being the best version of yourself. And we really try to live that philosophy ourselves.Sarah Kelly, Co-Founder of Salty Girl Beauty
Highlights from the episode and a link to the whole episode are below.
Here are some highlights from our conversation:
- 2:00 How Leah decided to become an oncology nurse.
- 4:20 Sarah’s cancer story – babies, pregnancy, and cancer.
- 7:20 The importance of self-care and stress in wellness.
- 9:33 The philosophy Leah and Sarah live by.
- 9:54 The role of nutrition in life and recovery.
- 11:07 Having support can be both a blessing and a challenge.
- 14:00 Leah’s thoughts on nutrition and fueling yourself with good food.
- 17:30 The idea to start Salty Girl Beauty.
- 24:43 What it’s like to work with your sister.
- 28:42 Creating a clean product and using effective, quality ingredients that aren’t harmful.
- 30:58 What’s involved in certifying clean makeup – it’s all about what’s on the label.
- 33:10 Where Sarah and Leah find beauty and inspiration.
- 36:15 How survivors are changing the “face” of cancer.
- 41:44 The power of giving back through Foundation for Love, Warrior Revolution, and New England Cancer Specialists.
- 48:08 What the Salty Girls do to stay beautiful.
- 53:41 A life well-lived.
Links mentioned in today’s podcast:
- Salty Girly Beauty
- Foundation for Love
- Warrior Revolution
- Violets are Blue Skincare
- The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen Cookbook
- New England Cancer Specialists – Cold Cap Program
A new podcast will be released every two weeks, the second and fourth Thursdays of the month.
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Are you subscribed to my podcast? If not, I encourage you to subscribe today so you don’t miss out on any upcoming episodes. I’ve got great content coming your way and I wouldn’t want you to miss out.
I am so grateful for your thoughts. If you’ve got an extra minute, I sure would love to hear from you! Head on over to iTunes and leave me a review. Your review will help others find my podcast too. You can also leave me a comment or topic you’d like to hear about in the future right here. Thank you for all the love and support!