Nancy Novack started Nancy’s List as a way to help cancer patients find financial resources to get through treatment. It became so much more.
Nancy was diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer in 2004 and learned quickly that the number one stressor for patients was the question of how they were going to pay for their treatment, even if they had insurance, because every plan is different and there are always loopholes and exclusions.
As the needs grew, so did Nancy’s List. She created a camp for children who were cancer patients or whose parents were patients. She expanded her list across the country to other cities that wanted to create a similar list of resources. And, she created an addition to the original list which was financial resources to include integrative practitioners from all specialties, many for free and others at a discount.
We have to recognize the blessings we have. It’s hard when you’re sick to think about, but you’ve got to keep going. Because we have to be ready for surprises.Nancy Novack, creator of Nancy’s List
Here are some highlights from our conversation:
- 2:04 Nancy’s experience with cancer.
- 2:05 How Nancy’s List came to be.
- 5:00 The impetus for starting Nancy’s Club.
- 7:37 Scaling Nancy’s List beyond San Francisco.
- 9:35 Getting the whole community involved.
- 10:38 Expanding Nancy’s List to include integrative practitioners.
- 12:37 On gratitude and giving back.
- 13:45 Trusting your medical team.
- 16:31 Walking the walk… and leading a path.
- 18:08 What is courage?
Links mentioned in today’s podcast:
- Nancy’s List
- Kitchen Table Wisdom by Rachel Naomi Remen
- My Grandfather’s Blessings by Rachel Naomi Remen
A new podcast will be released every two weeks, the second and fourth Thursdays of the month.
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Are you subscribed to my podcast? If not, I encourage you to subscribe today so you don’t miss out on any upcoming episodes. I’ve got great content coming your way and I wouldn’t want you to miss out.
I am so grateful for your thoughts. If you’ve got an extra minute, I sure would love to hear from you! Head on over to iTunes and leave me a review. Your review will help others find my podcast too. You can also leave me a comment or topic you’d like to hear about in the future right here. Thank you for all the love and support!