The central theme of this podcast was all about making life better for others! A concept I can definitely get behind!
Gail Nussbaum started out as an employee at Amgen working to help people with psoriasis and rheumatoid arthritis, when life took her down the cancer journey. As she puts it, “cancer wasn’t on her agenda, and she didn’t have time for it.” I think so many of us feel that way!
What I love most though, is what Gail did with her cancer experience. She turned it around and used it to help those around her. It started with the people she worked with, but then she had this amazing idea to give children going through cancer and other illnesses a Teddy bear to make their load a little lighter. What started as a one-time thing, turned into a multi-year annual event.
I have participated in making bears and delivering them to children at Brent’s Place. The experience is unlike anything you have experienced. What seems like such a small gesture is so meaningful to these kids and their families. Each bear personalized for each child. It immediately puts a smile on their face. And I can only hope those bears keep those kids company when they need it most.
This May 7th is Gail’s 10-Year Cancer-Free Anniversary and I am so excited to congratulate her on this very special anniversary!
Here are some highlights from our conversation:
- 02:23 Gail’s cancer journey story and the importance of a positive attitude.
- 04:28 Gail’s BIG anniversary!
- 05:13 Working through cancer and making it work for you.
- 06:51 Making life better for those around her going through the same struggles at work.
- 09:07 What to say to someone going through cancer.
- 10:00 The one nice thing Gail loved and collected on her cancer journey.
- On meeting Dr. McDreamy.
- 12:51 Leaning in to what doesn’t come easy.
- 14:21 The importance of paying it forward.
- 14:44 Gail’s Build-a-Bear Event and the impact it has.
- 19:58 Finding humor on the cancer journey.
- 22:05 The role of nutrition and lifestyle in healing and recovery.
- 23:57 What it means to live a life well-lived.
Links mentioned in today’s podcast:
A new podcast will be released every two weeks, the second and fourth Thursdays of the month.
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Are you subscribed to my podcast? If not, I encourage you to subscribe today so you don’t miss out on any upcoming episodes. I’ve got great content coming your way and I wouldn’t want you to miss out.
I am so grateful for your thoughts. If you’ve got an extra minute, I sure would love to hear from you! Head on over to iTunes and leave me a review. Your review will help others find my podcast too. You can also leave me a comment or topic you’d like to hear about in the future right here. Thank you for all the love and support!