In her groundbreaking book, Radical Remission, author Kelly Turner identifies living a life of purpose as one of the nine attributes of cancer survivors who’ve had a “radical remission”.
In this week’s episode, I speak with my long-time friend, Dafna Michaelson Jenet. We discuss living a life of purpose and finding solutions for problems. Her work has touched many! As a Colorado House Representative, Dafna fights to pass laws that will benefit the citizens of Colorado, from the youngest to the oldest.
Dafna has carried legislation on cancer research and mental health for the last four years. You can find out more about each of these topics in the links below. Her most recent success was the passing of the Annual Mental Health Wellness Exam. Job well done and thank you!
Dafna’s passions include writing, advocating on behalf of and giving women a voice through her TedxWomen events, and solving problems in her community. But with all of that, her family comes first.
Here are some highlights from the show:
- [01:37] Dafna shares her breast cancer story and what she calls, “the early warning system”.
- [03:51] Dafna explains what she does to take care of herself post cancer diagnosis.
- [05:18] Dafna talks about what she does for a living.
- [06:11] We discuss the 50 in 52 Journey.
- [06:45 – [07:15] Dafna discusses geneology and “cancer clusters” growing up.
- [09:43] Dafna talks about being “mission-oriented” and how that helped her recover, her work with the 50 in 52 Journey, and the Random Acts of Kindness Foundation.
- [13:00] On creativity and purpose….
- [15:38] On being a creative problem solver and working on all the solutions.
- [16:14] How having something you’re excited about can help you heal.
- [17:19] What happens when your children suffer as a result of your diagnosis.
- [19:14] Dafna explains the Annual Mental Health Wellness Exam.
- [22:37] Dafna talks about the Juvenile Behavioral Health Bill.
- [23:37] What you can do at home to better your own mental health.
- [25:06] TEDxWomen
- [28:08] Dafna’s Big Hairy Audacious Goals for the future.
- [28:21] Dafna’s final thoughts for you as you heal.
Links mentioned in today’s podcast:
- 50 in 52 Journey Institute
- Random Acts of Kindness Foundation
- Mental Health Wellness Exam
- Dafna’s Contact Information
- Dafna’s TEDxWomen’s Event
- Books by Dafna Michaelson Jenet
A new podcast will be released every two weeks, the second and fourth Thursdays of the month.
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Are you subscribed to my podcast? If not, I encourage you to subscribe today so you don’t miss out on any upcoming episodes. I’ve got great content coming your way and I wouldn’t want you to miss out.
I am so grateful for your thoughts. If you’ve got an extra minute, I sure would love to hear from you! Head on over to iTunes and leave me a review. Your review will help others find my podcast too. You can also leave me a comment or topic you’d like to hear about in the future right here. Thank you for all the love and support!